My grandmother taught me this recipe, when I first moved out on my own. She was worried I’d starve to death if she didn’t teach me how to cook. And having raised 8 kids, she knew how to make a lot of food with a little money.
I don’t know if she knew, but cabbage is THE MOST beneficial food on the planet. It has been proven to prevent several types of cancer (breast cancer, prostate cancer, cancers of the digestive track) and treat several common aliments including: constipation, headaches, stomach ulcers, obesity, jaundice, skin disorders, eczema, scurvy, gout, rheumatism, arthritis, eye disorders, heart diseases, signs of aging, Alzheimer’s disease and more!
Ok, so about the recipe. My picky kids and husband LOVE it, and it is so, so, sooo much easier and less time consuming than traditional cabbage rolls. We like to add about a teaspoon or so of sour cream on top of ours, so I added that to the recipe. But some people (like my parents) prefer it without the sour cream.
Oh and a tip my mother in law taught me, always use converted rice (Uncle Ben’s Converted rice is my favourite) when making cabbage roll, or any casserole. It doesn’t get mushy if it absorbs too much water or juice from the sauces or cabbage. The dish in the picture, I used long grain white rice (because that is all I had on hand). It tasted great, but the rice did get a little mushy.
Easy Unstuffed Lazy Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- 1 Medium Sized Cabbage Chopped
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- 1 Large Onion Chopped
- 2 Cans Tomato Sauce
- 2 Cans Diced Tomatoes
- 3 Cups Converted Rice (or long grain white rice)
- 2 Cloves Garlic Crushed
- 1 Cup of Water
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream (optional)
- Preheat oven at 400F
- Cook ground beef and onions in a skillet or frying pan until the beef is no longer pink.
- Add ground beef/onion mixture, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, cabbage, rice, garlic, water salt & pepper to a roasting pan or casserole dish. Stir well.
- Cover with tight fitting lid or tinfoil.
- Put in oven at 400F and cook for 45mins-1hour (when rice is done)
- Remove from oven, let cool about 10 minutes.
- Put on plates or in bowls and top with desired amount of sour cream.