I’ve had zero luck making any dessert that is both low carb and tasty. So today I had a major sugar craving ( several lately) and I decided to adapt a low carb pancake recipe for the cake part.
I personally love the biscuit type strawberry shortcake vs the angel food cake type. Maybe it’s because my mom always made a sweet biscuit as her base, and I really wanted to match the texture and taste.
For the Icing you can use Whipped Cream – I had left over Dr. Oetker Vanilla Mousse made from cupcakes that are low cal and somewhat low carb – So I simply used this as my filler vs making whipped cream.
You’ll also need strawberry’s – 1 Pint should do the trick, but It will vary on how big your cake is, and how many strawberries you decide to put on.
Here’s what I did
I made a double batch and used 2 9x 9 ( Pam sprayed )pans
Spread biscuit dough in pan using Spatula. ( It’s not terribly thick about 1/4 of an inch)
Then baked it at 350 for about 15 minutes ( till sides were brown) and let cool off completely.
Flip over one pan onto plate ( knock on bottom)
Added strawberries/ Whipped Topping on the bottom
Then added another Biscuit layer (by flipping over and tapping on bottom)
Added remaining whipped topping + sliced strawberries.
No need for double layer! It’s optional. My mom’s strawberry shortcake was double layered like this: And I had to make it just like she used to – Minus the carbs where I could!
Low Carb Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 1 cup of almond flour
- 3/4 cup of Splenda
- 1 tsp baking powder ( to get it to rise a bit) – You could skip this ingredient
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 softened butter
- Whipped Topping ( You could use whipping cream and splenda,) or use whatever low carb frosting you love ( suggest vanilla or Plain)
- Strawberries ( Sliced) ( 1 container)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Simply mix your dry ingredients well together
- ( almond flour, splenda, baking powder )
- then add your wet ingredients and mix well together. It will be like a giant lump. This is how is suppose to be.
- Spread in 9×9 cake pan.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes.
- Let Cool
- Add your whipped topping and strawberries.
Carb count in 1 layer or 1 biscuit Recipe:
- 1 Cup of Almond Flour = 24 Carbs ( Bob’s Red Mill)
- 3/4 Cup of Splenda is approximately 48 Carbs
- Butter 0.03 Carbs
- Egg 1 Carb
- Baking powder 2.3 g
= 76 Carbs for whole cake biscuit part.
Divide by 6 servings = 13 Carbs per serving + Whipped topping and strawberries.