Frugal DIY: Gorgeous Gumdrop Tree
If you are looking for a festive yet frugal craft this holiday season, look no further than this gorgeous gumdrop tree. This tree not only looks sugary and sweet, but makes a great hands on craft to enjoy with your child or just a group of friends. You don’t need a great deal of supplies, in fact a quick trip to the dollar store will do. Take a look below at how to make your own gorgeous gumdrop tree, and when you see how easy they are to make, you may very well make a whole forest of them!
Gorgeous Gumdrop Tree
- Styrofoam cone
- Hot glue, glue gun
- Assorted gumdrops
We already had a glue gun and glue, so our total cost for this project was a mere $2. You can’tbeat that! Feel free to grab several cones so you can play with various colors and patterns even. If your dollar store carries a variety of sizes, you can even try the various sizes and create trees of all different heights for added interest.
1. Begin at the base of the cone and apply a strip of glue that goes all of the way around it.
2. Working quickly, press a gumdrop to the glue until it is firmly adhered.
3. Repeat the process of pressing gumdrops to the glue until you have covered the entire perimeter.
4. Apply another strip of glue and repeat, working your way to the top of the cone.
5. When you arrive at the very top, add a drop of glue and press a yellow or white gumdrop on top for a star.
6. Go through the tree and fill in any bare or empty spots with additional gumdrops.
Now all you need to do is find a place to display your tree. Remind children that since you used glue, it is purely for decoration and not eating. If you wish, you can apply a clear sealant so that it lasts longer through the holiday season.
So head to your dollar store and grab all of the fixings you need to give this simple DIY project a try. Nothing says the holidays are here like a gorgeous gumdrop tree, so give one a try and see what you can come up with.