This fruit belongs to the family of Musaceae with the scientific name of Musa acuminate. This family includes plantains and edible bananas. Bananas are delicious and helpful powerhouses of some significant supplements. Since classical times almost 6000years ago, individuals have developed this tropical organic product and started spreading it across the world, and its medical advantages have been advanced for over a century. Bananas are rich in fibre and vitamins. They are a fruit with high-fat content and nutrients, which can help your metabolism, digestion and boost your brain.
CAN YOU FREEZE BANANAS?
YES! We can use bananas for early morning cravings, desserts, and much more, and if you are a banana lover, you might know that bananas don’t last that long, and they start turning brown, ripe and mushy. The good news is that we can totally save bananas from this and freeze them for later. Even when bananas are fully ripped, you can use them by freezing as the sugar content is at its highest in that.
HOW TO FREEZE BANANAS?
There are four ways to freeze bananas according to the recipe in which you want to use them, and they are as follows:
FREEZE BANANAS FOR SMOOTHIES
AS WHOLE :
Whenever in a hurry or feeling lazy, you can try this way of freezing bananas as a whole which is done in the following steps:
- Now you have to put whole bananas as it is in a single layer on a baking sheet, one with parchment paper, and freeze it for almost two to three hours.
- Now you have to use a freezer-safe bag and transfer whole frozen bananas in it, and you can store them in your freezers for about six months. Leave an inch on headspace to prevent freezer burn.
- This is the easiest way to freeze bananas for smoothies and for baking them at home.
- You have to peel the whole bananas and leave them as they are.
- It is better to remove the peel, as it gets brown and does not look appealing.
- Follow the same steps as for with peel. It is better to freeze like these when you need a proper recipe.
If you love frozen yogurts, morning smoothies or ice cream, then cutting freezing bananas into pieces can be a great option that all you have to do is follow the given steps, and it might save tons of your time.
- The first step is to peel and then slice the banana into small pieces.
- Again place those sliced bananas on a lined baking sheet in a single layer with parchment paper and put them in the freezer for two to three hours.
- Once the bananas are infirm in shape, transfer the frozen bananas into large bags, put them in the freezer, stick a label, and enjoy your frozen bananas.
This is a popular method and the best way of freezing for daily smoothie lovers.
- First, we have to peel bananas then strip them from the middle.
- Place those strips on parchment-lined paper and set them in the freezer for sixty minutes.
- After that, transfer the frozen banana strips into a bag or plastic ziplock bags for future use.
FREEZE BANANA FOR BREAD:
FREEZING MASH BANANAS:
Whenever your bananas are way too soft and are not in an appealing look, then you can go for the option to freeze them as mash bananas for later use in cakes, muffins and more desserts like these. You can follow these steps for freezing them:
- Peel and mash the bananas into a smooth consistency.
- Spoon the mashed bananas into air-tight freezer bags.
- Make them flat in shape, and never forget to label them with the number of bananas and measurements.
- You can easily store your bananas using baking cakes and other sweet treats. This method is not for making smoothies as it is difficult to measure.
FEW IMPORTANT QUESTIONS!
Can you freeze bananas with skin on?
Yes, you can freeze banana with the peel on, but the peel gets darker in the freezer giving a bad appearance. It will not really change how it freezes. However, the skin gets harder in the freezer, and it is a tough task to take it off later.
Do frozen bananas turn brown?
If your whole banana gets brown while in the freezer, that means it is not stored in an air-tight container leading to excess air interaction and freezer burn.
How long does it take for bananas to freeze?
It takes a total time of sixty or ninety minutes to freeze the banana. Bananas can remain in the freezer for any longer time than at room temperature. If you appropriately store them, they remain for 3 months. Past that time, they will stay alright for eating, yet they may lose their flavour after some time.
Most recipes require the thawing of frozen bananas, and you can do it in the easy ways mentioned below:
Place the banana in a big bowl, and spread them apart, so they don’t clump together. As we thaw bananas, they will unavoidably release some fluid, which is why placing them in the bowl is truly helpful. Don’t hesitate to place the bananas inside a plastic sack if you don’t have any bowls. If you froze the bananas in a pack in any case, you could utilize this sack. In case you’re worried about flies or different bugs, cover the bowl with foil or cling wrap.
Attempt to time it to be prepared to utilize them directly as they become completely defrosted. If you want to quicken up the thawing process, try to set the bowl where it gets a great deal of light. Allowing the bananas to sit for 2 hours is only a good guess. This may take additional time or less time, and it depends on the environment you are in. Once they are thawed, they are ready to use.
THAWING IN WATER:
You can adapt this method as it is effortless and does not require much skills and time.
- Take a bowl and fill it with warm water; if your bananas are not in a bag, place them in a plastic bag and soak and leave them into the bowl for 10mins.
- Eliminate the pack from the water. On the off chance that the bananas are still too difficult to even consider cutting, supplant the warm water. Allow the pack to sit in the bowl for a couple of more minutes and repeat the process if the bananas are not yet defrosted.
- If your bananas are not peeled, right now is an ideal time to do it. To try not to mush the banana, utilize a little blade to make slice the long way through the strip; at that point, take off the peel.
THAWING IN MICROWAVE:
When in a hurry, the quickest way to defrost a banana is to use the microwave for it by doing the following steps:
- Please take out your frozen bananas and set them in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave your frozen bananas for 4 minutes in defrost settings.
- Once thawed, add those bananas to delicious recipes.
USES OF FROZEN BANANAS
We think frozen bananas are the most versatile and valuable fruit in your freezer, from delicate serve to smoothies to chocolate-plunged bananas to peanut butter chunks. Here are the few refreshing uses:
Bread and cakes:
No doubt! Banana bread and muffins are the most favourite item. Using frozen bananas can be the perfect combo when baking goods. you can use thawed or mashed bananas in some of the known recipes like:
- Greek yogurt and chocolate banana bread
- Banana bran muffins
- Almond and Buttermilk bread
not only these known recipes, but you also can do combinations of different ingredients with banana.
Icecreams and popsicles:
Frozen bananas give a creamy texture to icecreams, making them the mouth-watering dessert.
Prep the following recipes in combination with other ingredients:
- Peanut butter and banana icecream
- banana chocolate icecream
- Frozen banana pops
Smoothies and shakes:
Frozen bananas go best with smoothies and milkshakes. They are a perfect match for each other. Just add frozen bananas, a cup of sugar and your favourite type of milk to the processor. Please give it a blend and serve them with amazing nuts.
- Banana milkshakes
- Banana split smoothie