Halloween is just around the corner! The baking challenge begins! Cupcakes are one of the best ways to feed a full class if your called to bake for the classroom Halloween party! Or perhaps your simply a wantabe Martha stewart, and impress your kids! This is a great basic recipe with small challenges of frosting to get this cute little monsters how you would like them!
Purple Monster Cupcake
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup of white sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
1 large egg + 2 large egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup of buttermilk
purple food coloring
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix your dry ingredients of flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt in a medium bowl. Sit aside.
Next whip the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy in the mixing bowl using an electric mixer
Add 1 in an egg, then the egg whites one at a time., then add the vanilla with the second egg white.
- -Using a liquid measuring cup whisk the buttermilk and purple gel food coloring together.
- Start to mix 1/3 of the flour mixture alternating with 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture. Mix after each addition only until just combined.
- Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- After all ingredients are blended scoop the batter into the paper lined cupcake pan until each tin is 3/4’s filled.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool
- Remove cupcakes from pan and place each on a wire rack until completely cooled.
- 4 Cups of icing sugar
- 1 Cup of unsalted butter, (prefer room temp)
- 4+ TBSP of heavy whipping cream
- Purple gel food coloring
- Candy eyes
- First Cream the butter and powder sugar until it looks creamy,then simply add the purple food coloring.
- Stir until the color in fully blended throughout all of the frosting.
- Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak by taking a spoonful of frosting and turning the spoon upside down. If the frosting stays on the spoon it is ready if not then…. ( Add more powder sugar 1/2 C at a time…. mix well)
- If ready scoop the frosting into the pastry bag with a large star tip.
- Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip.
- Frost from the cupcake edges inward to the center of the cupcake with a straight down with the tip.
- Position the candy eyes on the top of the frosted cupcake.