Lazy Cabbage Rolls – Easy Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
My grandmother taught me this recipe when I first moved out on my own. She was worried I’d starve to death if she didn’t teach me how to cook. And having raised eight kids, she knew how to make a lot of food with a little money.
I don’t know if she knew, but cabbage is THE MOST beneficial food on the planet. It has been proven to prevent several types of cancer (breast cancer, prostate cancer, cancers of the digestive tract). It treats several common ailments, including constipation, headaches, stomach ulcers, obesity, jaundice, skin disorders, eczema, scurvy, gout, rheumatism, arthritis, eye disorders, heart diseases, signs of ageing, Alzheimer’s disease and more!
Ok, so about the recipe. My picky kids and husband LOVE it, and it is so much easier and less time-consuming than traditional cabbage rolls. We like to add about a teaspoon or so of sour cream on top of ours. But some people (like my parents) prefer it without the sour cream.
Oh, and a tip my mother-in-law taught me, always use converted rice (Uncle Ben’s Converted rice is my favourite) when making cabbage roll or any casserole. It doesn’t get mushy if it absorbs too much water or juice from the sauces or cabbage. I used long-grain white rice for the dish in the picture (because that is all I had on hand). It tasted great, but the rice did get a little mushy.
Easy Unstuffed Lazy Cabbage Rolls Recipe
1 Medium Sized Cabbage Chopped
2 lbs Ground Beef
1 Large Onion Chopped
2 Cans Tomato Sauce
2 Cans Diced Tomatoes
3 Cups Converted Rice (or long-grain white rice)
2 Cloves Garlic Crushed
1 Cup of Water
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/2 Cup Sour Cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Cook ground beef and onions in a skillet or frying pan until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add ground beef/onion mixture, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, cabbage, rice, garlic, water, salt & Pepper to a roasting pan or casserole dish.
- Stir well.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid or tinfoil.
- Put in the oven at 400F and cook for 45mins-1hour (when rice is done)
- Remove from oven, let cool about 10 minutes.
- Put on plates or in bowls and top with the desired amount of sour cream.