When Strawberries are in full season : My teenagers beg me to make “Grandma’s Strawberry Shortcake”! We love this recipe with it’s texture and taste!
Unlike most strawberry shortcake recipes – this one doesn’t have Angel food cake . It’s more of a Sweet bread texture! It doesn’t get soggy at all, even if it sits in your fridge for a day or two.
It’s not too sweet either – the sweetness comes from the strawberries and not the cake.
Here’s “Grandma’s Strawberry shortcake recipe ” I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine!
This recipe has more of a bread cake vs the typical angel food cake. It stands up well and doesn’t get soggy fast.
- 2 Cups of flour
- 1/4 C of Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/3 cup of Butter + 2 Tablespoons
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 2lbs of strawberries
- 3 cups of Whip Cream of your choice – (Nutriwhip, coolwhip, whipping cream )
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees and Grease 8 inch round or 9 inch square
- Clean and cut/slice your strawberries and put in a bowl ( If you want it sweeter sprinkle an additional 3 Tablespoons of sugar) Set Aside
- Next in another Clean bowl
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and stir well till mixed. Then cut in your butter making it crumbly. Simply then pour your milk and stir till it looks like a bisquit mixture.
- Cook Cake Mixture 20 – 25 minutes depending on size of your pan. It’ll be done when the sides start to brown.
- Make your favorite whip cream topping – Either with real whipping cream, or nutriwhip, Dream Whip. Put in fridge.
- Let Cake cool off for 30 minutes.
- Slice Cake into half by making two layers ( Or you can cook your cake by using two pans and splitting the mixture into 2 individual cake pans)
- Cover the first layer with whipped topping and add strawberries on top. Put on second layer and finish off by adding more whipped toppings and strawberries.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Strawberry Shortcake - Grandma's recipe