Home Depot is a leading home improvement retailer in Canada. With stores in almost every major city and many small towns, Home Depot has become the place for Canadians when they need tools, supplies, building materials and more. Home Depot carries everything you need, from power tools to lawnmowers, to complete your project.
Home Depot offers unbeatable deals on thousands of online and in-store items for shoppers looking for convenience and great value. However, it’s essential to understand their return policy before making purchases. Knowing what can be returned or exchanged does shopping at Home Depot hassle-free.
How can I ask for a return from Home Depot?
If you need to return an item purchased at Home Depot, you can return it to the store with your original receipt. You can also call the customer service line or contact Home Depot through their website and request a return.
Merchandise must be returned in unused, like-new condition
Items purchased at one of our Canadian stores can only be returned in-store within 90 days unless you return the items listed below.
For fast, easy returns, keep your receipt. It not only ensures you get the proper credit for your purchase, but it also helps customer service process your return quickly.
If you paid with a tender other than cash, Customer Service can look up your purchase receipt, and you can still get a refund or exchange.
How many Days Do I Have to Return an Item?
Most Products have a 90-day grace period.
Non Returnable Items
A few Items are non-returnable, and a few surprises but not many.
You can’t return store credits, gift cards, or gift certificates for custom-made products, including custom painting products.
- Utility trailers
- Hot Tubs and Spas
- Standby Generators
- and for the weird one – Wallpaper.
Some Larger priced items you can’t return are the following:
Major Appliances are Non-Returnable – When you get the appliance delivered, ensure it is not damaged before signing off when it’s delivered. Any issues need to be called in right away.
30-Day-only Returnable Items.
- Gas Powered Equipment
- Cordless Powered equipment
- Snowblowers/ Lawn Mowers
- Holiday Decor
- Yard to You bulk landscaping products must be returned within 30 days of delivery. We can only accept returns of unused products; the packaging cannot be damaged (split/ripped).
Can I return Major Appliances?
- Major appliances cannot be returned. Check the items when delivered to ensure you are happy with them. If you are not satisfied, do not sign the delivery receipt. Tell the delivery person about any problems right away.
- If you wait more than 48 hours, you can visit your local store or call 1-800-759-2054 for help.
Can I return Expensive Items when used?
- Home Depot offers repairs according to the manufacturer’s warranty through authorized service contractors if you have a used lawn tractor, mower, snow thrower or gasoline-powered equipment (except generators). For additional information, please connect with their Customer Support.
For other items with open boxes or missing the original package, it will be up to the individual store to decide if your item deems to be able to be returned.
Can I return an item without a Receipt?
- Receipts for purchases made with credit, debit or cheque within the last 90 days may be in their system. Ask about receipt lookup.
- Their system must approve every item without a receipt before processing.
If you paid with cash, you’re in luck! You may receive store credit redeemable at Home Depot via a gift card.
What do I need to provide to Return an Item without a receipt?
- To process non-receipted returns and store credit purchases, Home Depot requires a valid Photo ID issued by the Canadian government. They ask for a photo id to keep track of all returns, and it is used for fraud prevention.
Can I return online purchases?
You can return items purchased online at any Canadian Home Depot store; You may be able to start your return online for eligible products — visit your Order Details page to check for a return option.
Bring the item(s) and your shipping confirmation email to your local Home Depot store for credit to your original tender or a Home Depot store credit. If PayPal were used during your purchase, your PayPal account would be credited for the return amount. Merchandise must be returned in unused, like-new condition.
Hazardous materials that contain flammable liquids or gases cannot be sent through the mail, so be sure to bring these items to your local store.
Or you can arrange to have your online order picked up by contacting Customer Support if it is big and heavy.
How do I get Refunded?
- You will be reimbursed as you paid with a receipt or lookup. If you paid with a debit card, you would be refunded by a debit card.
- Cash and equivalent purchases exceeding $1,000 may be refunded as mail cheques from The Home Depot’s corporate office.
Are there any Restocking fees to be aware of?
- Some Special Order returns are subject to a 15% restocking fee. Cancellations may also be subject to a 15% restocking fee. See the service desk for details.
Special People get 365 Days of a Return with original Receipts.
Returns with an original sales receipt after 90 days of purchase or after 365 days of purchase if made with a Home Depot Consumer Credit Card, The Home Depot Commercial Revolving Charge, or The Home Depot Commercial Account