Mozzarella cheese sticks are one of my favourite appetizers to order when we go out to eat. I love the melty cheese with the crispy fried golden outside & the fresh marinara sauce, so good!! And now I’m hungry! 😉 But I really don’t enjoy making them at home. I don’t have the patience to bread things. The whole process of having to dip things in the eggs & then in the breading & the mess involved, it’s just not for me!
So when I found this recipe for homemade cheese sticks using a wonton wrapper instead of a traditional breading, I couldn’t wait to try them out! You do have to be careful with the wonton wrappers because they are very fragile & can tear easily, but making these was so much easier & less messy than anything I’ve ever tried involving eggs & breadcrumbs!!
- 8 wonton wrappers
- 4 mozzarella string cheese sticks, cut in half
- a small bowl with water – just a tablespoon or two
- oil for frying
- marinara sauce for dipping
- Working one a time, brush the wonton wrapper lightly with water. Place a string cheese half in the center of the wonton. Bring the bottom edge of the wrapper tightly up over the cheese, rolling from the bottom until the top of the sheet is reached. Be very gentle in rolling them up so you don’t tear the wonton wrapper. Repeat with the remaining wonton wrappers & string cheese.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat or a deep fryer.
- Add the wrapped string cheese to the skillet & cook until golden brown and crispy – it only takes a minute or two – if you let it go too long, the cheese could start melting through the wrapper. Transfer the cooked cheesesticks to a paper towel lined plate to drain & slightly cool.
- Serve hot with your favorite marinara sauce for dipping