I love somewhat simple recipes – especially when it comes to doing up festive treats. I’m not a great decorator – so this fun Easter Popcorn Treat is easy enough for me to do! And it has all the wonderful spring colours just in time for Easter! Sometimes you need to let go of the diet and splurge a little! The kids will devour this treat!
Easter Popcorn Treat
- 4 cups plain air-popped popcorn
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 bag of Easter candy, any type you want. I used jelly beans
- 1 cup Almond Bark, melted and divided into 4 separate bowls-to drizzle over popcorn
- Food Coloring
1. preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Place popcorn in a large bowl and set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Stir constantly while bringing to a boil. Then boil without stirring for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla extract. Pour caramel evenly over popcorn, stirring to coat.
3. Place popcorn on two large shallow baking sheets and bake in the preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, for about an hour. and Remove popcorn from the oven and let cool completely. (It was a little cumbersome trying to stir on a large baking sheet. Using a spatula in one hand and a large oven mitt in the other helped keep the popcorn from flying everywhere.)
4. Melt Almond Bark and divide it into four small bowls. Add 1 drop of food colouring to three of the bowls, leaving one white. I used green, blue and red to make pink.
5. Divide popcorn into four sections, drizzle popcorn with melted, coloured
6. Let the popcorn sit until the almond bark hardens, about 30 minutes. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Alternative Decor Ideas:
Add popcorn to canning jars, Easter baskets, buckets, and top with matching ribbons.