Frugal Fall DIY: Sweater Pumpkins
Fall is the perfect time to curl up with some crafting supplies and create something fun! If you are looking for some festive fall décor but are working on a limited budget, this DIY project will be right up your alley. With just an old sweater and a toilet paper roll, you can whip up these cute sweater pumpkins in no time. Take a look below at how you can make your own quickly and inexpensively!
1 old sweater
1 toilet paper roll
You can either use a sweater you no longer wear, or you can visit your local thrift shop and grab one that appeals to you. Look for fall colors as we did in this sample picture. The brown background with pops of color reminded me of a autumn tree, with all of its leaves changing colors! Use something that appeals to YOU and matches your style and décor.
Raffia, toilet paper, and scissors can all be found at your local dollar store, which is where we found the supplies used in our sample picture.
1. For this project, you are going to use the sleeve of the sweater to cover the toilet paper roll. Lay the roll next to the sleeve so you can get an idea of how much you need to cut off.
2. Take your scissors and trim the sleeve of the sweater to size.
3. Slip the sleeve over the roll of toilet paper so the hemmed wrist portion is at the bottom of the toilet paper roll. This will help it fit will and stay on.
4. Bunch the remaining sweater at the top of the roll of toilet paper.
5. Cut a piece of raffia and tie it around the extra fabric. Add a few more pieces of raffia to secure it and create a vine effect.
That’s it! You can make another pumpkin using the other sleeve if you wish, and gather a group of these pumpkins on a mantel or in a large bowl. They are so fun and easy, you will find yourself wanting to whip them up by the dozens.
A project like this is a great way to repurpose an old sweater you are not using anymore, while creating something fun and fresh. Gather the kids or a group of friends and give this sweater pumpkin a try and see what you can come up with!